Every time I am at Whole Foods, I end up picking up a “Morning Glory” Muffin to snack on. Both my daughter and I love them: sweet, moist, and healthy. So I decided to bake a batch of them myself! After scouring the internet to find the recipe that suited my taste, here is the one I found on eatingwell.com. I modified them slightly and love the result! They are refined-sugar free, gluten-free (because I used gluten-free flour), and nutrient packed!
* 1 cup whole-wheat flour
* 1/2 cup oatmeal (old fashioned, not steel cut)
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* a splash of nutmeg
* a splash of clove
* 2 eggs
* 1/3 cup of honey
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 1 cup applesauce
* 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
* 2 cups of shredded carrots
* 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
* 1/2 cup of raisins
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the muffin tin with cooking spray
* Mix together the flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and spices in a bowl..
* In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla.
* Slowly whisk in the coconut oil. Then add the flour mixture.
* Fold in the coconut, carrots and raisins.
* Place the dough in the tins, and sprinkle the muffins with shredded coconut atop.
* Bake for 20 minutes or until a fork / toothpick comes out clear.
Sorry for posting so many recipes recently, but I can’t help myself! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend — go Seahawks (Pacific Northwest Pride!)