Savory, filling, hearty enchiladas are a perfect meal for a cold day (or for that matter, a hot day).
* Head of kale
* Can of Enchilada sauce
* Shredded meat from 1/2 a whole chicken
* 1/2 cup to 1 cup shredded cheese (depending on how cheesy you want them to be)
* 1/2 cup of sour cream (or substitute like greek yogurt or cottage cheese)
* 1 sliced onions or several scallions
* 8-10 tortillas
* chopped cilantro
* Preheat oven to 375 degrees
* Chop, de-stem, and steam the kale for 3 to 5 minutes
* Sautee the onions (if you are using onions)
* create an assembly line to put together the enchiladas: a bowl of the enchilada sauce, the veggies, the onions, the chicken, the sour cream.
* First dip the tortilla into the enchilada sauce, and then fill it up with all the goodies ending with a spoonful of sour cream. Then roll it up and place it in a baking pan (which has a layer of the enchilada sauce on the bottom)
* Once you have finished putting together all the filled tortillas, cover the enchiladas with the leftover sauce, and add on top all the cheese.
* Bake for 40 minutes, or until hot. Add chopped cilantro at end, and serve.
* You can make enchiladas with anything you want: zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, spinach, butternut squash, tofu, etc.
* You can substitute red enchilada sauce with green sauce.
* The sour cream/cottage cheese/yogurt is optional, but it makes the enchiladas more creamy and tasty.
Hope you enjoy this recipe. It is always a good go-to meal that serves a lot of people. Also great for leftovers. Have a great weekend!