The election is behind us, and we have Barack for 4 more years! As you could guess, I am a big Obama supporter, but every Election Day, regardless of the outcome, it is great to see America get passionate about politics and participate in our political system. On to the blog!
While Josie Girls spend a lot of time on their own wardrobes, helping dress the men in your lives can be just as important. I previously posted on Johnnie-O, a West Coast take on the classic men’s polo shirt that I love. Today, my focus is on the men’s button down.
While I didn’t grow up with men’s button downs (my father and brother probably have a total of three button downs combined), I have grown to appreciate certain ones, and detest others. My husband wears button downs like I wear hoodies, they are a major role in his daily uniform.
Things I hate:
* Men’s button downs that are too big. For whatever reason, 80% of men buy button downs that are too big, either due to size, or due to the cut… excess fabric bunching on the sides, shoulders that are WAY too wide, etc
* Men that wear formal suit button downs out socially. A button down that is meant to look boring with a suit is definitely going to look boring with a pair of jeans. Yes, I am talking to you every 25 year old investment banker in New York City.
* Button downs that have a sheen and shine to them. NO NO NO NO. And even more NO NO NO if paired with a shiny solid tie. You are not Regis Philbin from “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?”
Things I like:
* Button downs that have a little more design, or a splash of unexpected color.
* Button downs that are slimmer fit
* Button downs that don’t look like a 25 year old investment banker in New York City could wear them with a suit (sorry if I am harping)
With that in mind, my favorite men’s button downs out there are from J.Crew. They are slimmer fit (but tell your Josie Guy to buy a size smaller than he would on his own… I find this to be a GREAT rule for improving your men’s wardrobes). They are also affordable and I think they look great. Also, J. Crew deserves a shout out for offering teachers a 15% discount! Show your teacher ID in store, and you can get a discount on the clothes you buy, or get credited back for clothes you buy online. Thanks J. Crew!
Here are some of my current favorite Men’s Button Down shirts, from J.Crew as well as other lines.
J. Crew Flannel Shirt in Barn Plaid
Patagonia Long sleeved pima organic cotton
Gitman Brothers X Opening Ceremony
I guess there seems to be a trend with the shirts I like on guys….bright, bold, slim, and plaid.
So there you have it, the button ups I love. What men’s fashion items do you like?
And, before I forget, congrats to our winners from our three giveaways last week!
Levain Cookies – Debbie Ainsworth, East Northport, NY (she lives in New York and was without power when she found out she won!)
Bengal Beach Towels – Judith Poppell, Lake City, FL
$100 Flywheel gift certificate – anonymous, Bessemer, AL
Investment banker bashing.. ha ha. Occupy!!
🙂 HA HA
I love the pants in the Michael Douglas picture. Are those for real?
the sweater vest is amazing. especially because there is an umbrella on it.
I am all about sweater vests.