A month ago when I was in Los Angeles to run the marathon, I dined at Gjelina not once but twice. It quickly became my favorite restaurant with the most scrumptious veggies, pizzas, sides and desserts. Immediately upon returning to NYC, I bought the Gjelina cookbook. This past weekend, I decided to make the warm date cake and HOLY SHMOLY HOT DAMN this cake is amazing. It is sweet, moist, and oh so delicious. I highly recommend this cake and can’t wait to eat it all up (and to make it again shortly thereafter).
* 1 pound fresh soft dates, pitted
* 2 tsp baking soda
* 2 1/3 cups of very hot water
* 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
* 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
* 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
* 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 5 tablespoon unsalted butter
* 2 cups dark brown sugar
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 1/2 tablespoon bourbon
Directions to make cake:
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 10 by 14 inch glass dish
* In small bowl, combine dates and baking soda. Pour hot water over dates and smoosh with a fork until the dates have mostly dissolved
* In a bowl, place vanilla, granulated sugar, egg and egg yolk and whisk together.
* Stir in the date mixture until mixed completely
* In a different bowl, mix the baking powder and flour. Gently place the flour into the date mixture.
* pour the batter into the glass dish and bake for 35-40 minutes.
Directions to make topping:
* In a large saucepan, melt butter and add sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved.
* Then add the cream, whisking it together. Remove from heat, add bourbon and whisk together.
* Once the cake is out of the oven, pierce the top with 12-20 holes. Pour half of the sauce on top of the cake, into the holes and set aside to rest.
* Once ready to serve, cut the cake into squares and drizzle the remaining toffee sauce on top. Serve with scoops of ice cream. DELCIOUSNESS.
Let me know if you make it and what you think — I am in love!