Fall Sundays often involve a decent amount of NFL football on in our household, as Ken is a huge fan. While having football on the TV (even if it’s on mute) is not my favorite thing in the world, Ken tries to make up for it by cooking something as well, so I guess you could call it an even trade. Last week, it was Pulled Chicken Sandwiches in our slow cooker (crock pot). They were really good (and definitely healthier than pulled pork).
* 2 1/2 pounds of chicken – use assorted pieces (we used breasts and thighs)
* 1 medium sized onion
* 2 peppers (any color, we happened to have yellow and orange)
* 2 carrots
* 2 stalks of celery
* 10 oz of barbecue sauce
* Buns (I like sesame)
* Chop up all of the vegetables.
* Place the chicken pieces on the bottom of the slow cooker.
* Spread the veggies evenly on top. As you could guess, this pulled chicken recipe is more veggie-intensive than average.
* Spread the BBQ evenly on top.
* Set on low and cook for 7 1/2 hours. I know, SUPER long. But set it, and forget it!
* Take the chicken pieces out and shred by hand (and take the bones out).
* Mix and slow cook for another 1/2 hour.. and that’s it!
* Toast the buns and serve!
Outside of my Vitamix, I think the slow cooker is my favorite kitchen appliance. I highly recommend. Simple, easy to clean, and most importantly, a really easy way to make great food with minimal work.
Due to Hurricane Sandy, we delayed picking the winners of the three anniversary-related giveaways we announced last week. The e-mails are going out today, so check your inbox. Good luck!
Enjoy, and have a great weekend. And remember to hug a first responder. The devastation from Sandy continues.