The other morning when I was at my good friend’s house, she had just pulled banana bread out of the oven (how she makes banana bread while dealing with two kids on a school morning amazes me to no end!). She offered a piece, and although I had already eaten breakfast, I couldn’t say no. And HOLY crap, this was the best banana bread ever. Thankfully, she sent me the recipe and here it is!
* 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
* 3 medium, very ripe bananas
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 2 large eggs
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1/2 cup of broken walnuts
* chocolate chips, peanut butter chips (why not?)
* Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
* Grease a loaf pan with butter
* In a medium sized bowl, using a wooden spoon, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
* In a large sized bowl, mash the peeled bananas with a fork. Add the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla and beat with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Stir just until blended.
* Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan, spreading it evenly with a wooden spoon. Put the pan in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. I made it into muffins (small and big) as I couldn’t find our loaf pan. If you make it into muffins, bake it for 25 minutes and just watch the oven closely.
Although these were delicious, somehow (like always) my friend’s banana bread was even better…..that said, I devoured every single one of them. Hope you have a great weekend — Rosh Hashana is this weekend, so Happy New Year (Shana Tova) to those who celebrate!