In the ultimate grocery ordering fail, I ended up with 13 pounds of key limes. Granted, this would be a win if I were having a tequila and taco party (oh please, doesn’t that sound so dreamy????) but since there is no party to be had, I have LOTS AND LOTS of key limes to use! So I went searching on the good ‘ol internet and found this recipe for a key lime pie — thank you Bon Appetit!!!
Filling and top
* 4 large egg yolks
* 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
* 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest, plus more for garnish
* ¾ cup fresh key lime (or regular lime) juice
* Pinch of kosher salt
* 1 cup heavy cream
* ¼ cup powdered sugar
* 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
* Preheat oven to 325°.
* Using your hands, crush graham crackers in a large bowl until coarsely ground. Add butter, coconut oil, sugar, and salt and mix until well blended. Transfer to a 9″ pie dish. Flatten evenly on bottom and sides of the pan.
* Bake crust, rotating once halfway through, until golden brown on top and crumbs are set, 12–15 minutes. Let cool.
* Beat egg yolks and condensed milk in a large bowl for about 5 minutes. Whisk in 2 tsp. lime zest, lime juice, and salt.Pour into cooled crust.
* Bake pie until filling no longer jiggles and is starting to slightly puff around the edges, 15–20 minutes. Let cool completely.
* Whip cream and powdered sugar in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently whisk in yogurt.
So good, so good. Now that I have 12.5 pounds of key limes left, I will make a million more of these pies! Hopefully with practice, I will get closer to perfection. Until then, this crumby pie is OH SO GOOD. Happy weekend!