Torte / Quiche / Pie = All the same deliciousness. Especially when made by my Mama. Yep, the best cook in the world gave me a lesson on how to make tortes. Unbelievably tasty, and a home-run for any dinner / lunch / brunch dinner party. (My mom is such a pro in the kitchen that she made 8 of these tortes — all different fillings — in ONE afternoon. IF ONLY I had the charisma, talent, and energy that she has!) This torte was one of my favorites: mushroom. It is not simple, not vegan, gluten-free, or light — but it is full of flavor and a perfect addition to your plate. Center stage. This recipe was found from the Nordic Bakery Cookbook, which is amazing.
Ingredients for Pastry:
* 13 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened at room temperature (no one ever said that this recipe was “healthy”…which probably makes this the most delicious recipe on the blog)
* 3.5 tablespoons sour cream
* 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* a pinch of salt
* Cream the butter and sour cream in a mixing bowl.
* Roll into a ball, then wrap in plastic and refrigerate for minimum of 2 hours.
Ingredients for Filling:
* 10 ounces of 3 different types of mushrooms (portabella, cremini, button, etc…)
* 1 onion
* 1 cup of creme fraiche or heavy cream
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1 cup of sharp grated cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and make sure that the dough is ready to go.
* With olive oil and a tiny bit of butter, sautee the onions, and then add the mushrooms.
* Put the creme fraiche, eggs, cheddar, salt in a mixing bowl and mix well. Then add the mushrooms.
* Fill in the pastry with this holy-shmoly-this-is-delicious mixture
* Bake in oven (400 degrees) for 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold. Everyone will love this. I promise you. Even people afraid of gluten, eggs, and dairy.
Hope you have a great weekend. And thanks, Mama Proskurowski, for cooking these unbelievable dishes — you are an inspiration!
Wow. Looks amazing. But involved. I can’t say I’ll give it a shot, but I enjoy the pictures. Have a great weekend!
I never knew crust had so much butter!
No fear of gluten, eggs or dairy here. 🙂 That looks amazing! We’re looking forward to fabulous veggie meals in a couple weeks!
Let me know what you think when you make them!