Sometimes, I fail. Today is an example of having good intentions and thinking that I could make an awesome recipe, and instead… it flopped. I am sharing this with you in hopes that maybe someone can fix this recipe and make it edible? All the components are tasty and I am still eating my concoction, but it just isn’t right. I need HELP! (Comments/suggestions appreciated!)
In any case, for some reason, I am eating double the amount NOW versus when I was pregnant. I guess it is true that nursing a baby burns a lot of calories, but DAMN ladies, I am literally hungry ALL THE TIME! No matter how much I eat, I still want more…
I was craving a snack that is (1) itty bitty in size (2) sweet (3) healthy (4) easy to make (if you make it correctly). My raw apple balls actually became raw apple mousse. The mousse *is* delicious…but it’s not the raw apple balls the recipe promised to be. The dough was just too sticky which made it impossible to form balls. I SWEAR IT IS DELICIOUS no matter what the form is, but they are not an easy snacks to eat. I want little balls of goodness!
* 1 1/2 cups dates
* 1/2 cup almonds
* 1/4 cup walnuts
* 3 apples
* 2 tablespoons raisins
* 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
* Soak 1 cup dates for 30 minutes to soften. Leave the remaining dates unsoaked. Also, make sure that the pits are removed from the dates.
* Blend the nuts together (use a cuisinart instead of the vitamix. Yes, I love the vitamix, but dates in the blender seem to be no good, and the recipe ends up taking a lot longer)
* Add the soaked and dry dates in the food processor. Blend until chunky.
* Peel, core, and chop the apples.
* Place the apples with the raisins and the cinnamon into the blender with the other “dough” and blend until you feel like it is a good consistency.
* With clean hands, roll the dough into small balls and put in the fridge.
* If you are feeling extra special, you can dust the balls with coconut or cinnamon. Or leave as is.
* Store in fridge and eat when hungry!
There you have it! Another semi-delicious snack! Any tips or suggestions on my terrible failure? And if not, do you have a healthy snack that is easy to make (and doesn’t take a lot of time)? Also — do you have good snacks that DO NOT INVOLVE NUTS? I know many people with nut allergies, and I would love more ideas on snacks that are nut-free! Please share!
Happy Memorial Day weekend! I am off to Westchester with the two kiddos, the hubby, my mama, and my brother. I am one lucky girl this weekend!