Yup, you read it correctly, say WHAAATTTT? Black Bean Flourless Brownies? Black beans in a brownie????? With or without rice? Just joking (about the rice), and yessers, I am serious about the black beans in the brownies. I was intrigued by the recipe from A Clean Bake, so I made the recipe, found myself interested in how weird they were, and then realized I had eaten more than my share #oops. So here is the recipe: (Note, when I made it, I must have been overly tired because I literally doubled the amount of black beans #gassy and forgot baking powder and salt…. I think that is what happens when I try to rush/bake between kid activities and my tutoring gig. Mind you, even though I forgot all that and put way too many beans in, everything was delicious!)
* 1/2 cup + (meaning more than 1/2) cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
* 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 large egg
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* Pinch Salt
* 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
* 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon raw cacoa powder
* Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
* Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave / stovetop. If they do not melt completely, stir together until they finish melting.
* Pour black beans and melted chocolate into a food processor and pulse until smooth.
* Then, add the rest of the ingredients and continue to pulse until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse a few more times to make sure everything is completely incorporated.
* Pour into prepared pan and smooth to level and fill corners, etc. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 25 minutes until the top has cracked slightly and the center has set.
I highly recommend baking these brownies, and I also highly suggest that you don’t double / triple the black bean quantity and also add the baking powder and salt. Then for sure, no one will know that they are made with black beans. I hope you have a good weekend! Spring here we come!
Oh my goodness. These brownies look delicious! Who would have that beans can make brownies? Really cool recipe.
I am so confused! How on earth can black beans turn into something that looks so delicious? I am going to have to your recipe out now. I am so curious to see how this turns out.
I would not feel guilty eating these! Just can’t tell my kids the ingredients…
I found your blog on Clog Matster’s site:)
Thanks so much for trying these out and for posting about them!! I get that “black beans? whaaaa?” reaction a lot but no one who tries them knows the difference. It’s great to know that they work with double the amount of beans too! 😉 I hope these find your way into your kitchen again and again!
PS: Sorry if this is TMI but I am a huge (HUGE!) fan of your Mother-in-law’s clothes and, especially, bras! 🙂