Readers know that I love Gwyneth Paltrow as much as I love my kids (#joking #notjoking). So here is yet another recipe from her cookbook, “It’s All Good.” Candy Bars! Hellooooooo healthy-ish Halloween treats! (way better than M&Ms). They are gluten-free and refined-sugar-free… but heavy duty sweet. But still healthier than a typical candy bar…..so go for it!
* 1½ cups raw cashews
* 1½ cups dates, pitted and roughly chopped
* ½ cup almond butter
* ½ cup maple syrup
* ½ cup coconut flour
* ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
* ½ teaspoon almond extract
* 1½ cups dark chocolate chips (60% or higher cocoa content)
* 1½ tablespoons coconut oil
* Grind the cashews to a very fine meal in a food processor.
* Add the dates, almond butter, maple syrup, coconut flour, shredded coconut, and almond extract and pulse until you have a sticky ball of dough. Then use a food processor to get the mix sticky and thick (versus my first true love, the Vitamix).
* Line a small sheet pan with parchment paper and press the cashew mixture out onto the paper, making a rectangle 1 inch deep. Refrigerate for several hours.
* After the break, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a stainless steel or glass bowl set over a pot of simmering water (make sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl). Stir the mixture until it’s just melted, remove the bowl from the heat, and pour the chocolate mixture over the cold cashew mixture.
* Return the bar to the fridge and let it cool until the chocolate coating is set, at least 1 hour. Using the parchment, lift the bar out of the sheet pan and cut it into rectangles.
* Store them in the fridge. AND EAT! ENJOY!
Have a great weekend! Make these! Happy Halloween!