Almond milk has been my go-to-milk-product for several years. I used to drink soy milk (I am lactose intolerant), but then it hurt my stomach as much as cow’s milk. So when almond milk came out on the market, I converted. Almond milk is a great alternative, as it is rich and creamy, low in calories, and has incredible health benefits. I have a tendency to hoard almond milk in the fridge as I am always scared I will run out of it. So when a friend told me that she makes her almond milk on a regular basis, I was thrilled! I always would rather make food at home than buy it in a store — you see what goes into what you eat/drink, and you have complete control. Here is the recipe:
* 1/4 cup of raw almonds
* 5 cups of water
* special flavors (cinnamon, sea salt, vanilla, agave) — just to give it some extra oomph
* soak the almonds in water for 12 hours
* when done soaking, rinse the almonds and place them in the blender (I highly suggest a vitamix blender – one of my best kitchen appliance investments ever!)
* add 5 cups water
* optional: add pinch of salt, vanilla and/or cinnamon for flavor
* turn on blender and increase speed every couple seconds; blast on high for several minutes or until almonds look blended.
And there you go! Almond milk! If you are used to sweetened almond milk, it will take some adjusting, because homemade almond milk is not as sweet and can be more watery. With time, you will learn to appreciate the natural almond flavor and treasure this homemade milk!
Have a great weekend!
— AYN, a.k.a, The Josie Girl