With a flat of blueberries in our house from our local CSA, I went on a hunt to find the best blueberry pie recipe. That said, searching “best blueberry pie” on the internet does not necessarily lead to the best blueberry pie, especially when I add words such as “low sugar” or “healthy.” So instead, I went the old fashioned route and asked a friend for a recipe. Needless to say, this much more experienced baker (read ‘older’) instantly emailed me her go-to-blueberry crisp recipe. So I made it (but of course, with some minor adjustments) and IT IS SO DELICIOUS.
Ingredients for Crumb Crust and Topping:
* 1 cup ground hazelnuts or almonds (just finely ground — not yet butter)
* 2 cups almond flour (or you can use normal flour, but hey, why not almond flour)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup chilled butter
Ingredients for filling:
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
* 4 pints of fresh blueberries
* Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
* In a large bowl, mix together the nuts, flour, and sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until you get coarse crumbs.
* Using fingers, evenly press half of the crumb crust/topping mixture into the bottom and sides of a tart pan (note: you do NOT need to butter the bottom of the pan, as there is enough butter in the recipe to make the grease step unnecessary.)
* To prepare the filling, in a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and the cornstarch. Gently fold in the berries. Spoon the berry mixture into the crust, spreading evenly.
* Sprinkle the berry mixture evenly with the remaining crumb crust/topping.
* Bake until topping is golden and filling is bubbly, 30 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
I ate this for breakfast the day after, too. It is that good.
This looks amazing! Have a great weekend.
YUM..I want this right now.
Next time you have to try it with milk!! It was so yum I am still thinking about it!!