99.99% of the time, my hair is up in an olive-oyl chignon. I rarely wear it in a different style…guilty of being boring and predictable! Luckily, contributing editor Ali, via her hair stylist, Kate has some tips for us! Here they are! Thanks, Ali and Kate! Take it away!
Visiting Bumble and Bumble is always a luxurious experience, from the lovely café to the massaging shampoo chairs, but I could easily live without those perks. I am serious about my cut and that’s why I turn to the mistress of my hair, Kate Schlichter. She has been a master trainer at Bumble and Bumble University where she instructs budding stylists with her precise direction, talent and inspiration.
Kate is an extremely capable, creative stylist with a true expertise of customizing her approach for different clients. She guarantees that her cuts can get months of mileage without losing their style and it’s the truth. The last time I went in for a cut, the front desk tried to check me out before I informed them that I was coming, not going! Compliments before my hair was even cut? That’s pretty much unheard of.
I asked Kate to enlighten us with her style tips to make summer hair a bit more fun for our JGB readers. Hope you enjoy!
For Beachy Waves:
3. Ruff dry your hair all over until it’s dry– don’t even bother using a brush.
4. Use a curling iron wand
— Start in the front of your hair curing away from your face.
— Do each piece in a different direction.
— When you reach the back, split the hair in half and pull pieces to the front so it’s easier to get to.
— If you feel like it gets too curly, stretch out your curl while it’s hot and before it sets.
5. If you want more texture, finish with a spray of choice. For added shine use an oil, such as Bb Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil.
For a Cool, Braided Look:
Instead of a traditional braid, try a rope braid! It’s easy, looks great, and only requires two strands.
1. Start off the same way as the Beach Waves to create a ruffed up texture.
2. Twist one strand in right hand.
3. Cross over the strand on the left.
5.Do that on any part of your head for a super cool look!
For a Top Knot:
1. Start off the same way as the first two for a ruffed up textured Top Knot
2. Take all of your hair and gather it into a ponytail on the top of your head.
3. Twist the hair around the top and use hairpins to secure the knot.
I think it’s cool to do rough sides and sleek top, or sleek sides and rough top knot!
For a cut with Kate, head to Bumble and bumble in NYC: Uptown: 146 E 56th St between Lexington and Third Aves and Downtown: 415 W 13th St between Ninth Ave and Washington St (Phone: 212-521-6500) and website.
Have a great rest of the week!
Ali Berlin, Contributing Editor of Josie Girl Blog