As I mentioned last week , my new favorite cookbook is “Run Fast Eat Slow ” by Olympian Shalane Flanagan  — I literally can’t get enough of it. My most recent obsession is the “Superhero muffins,” as I have made four batches in the past two weeks (no joke). They are moist, filling, sweet, delicious, and healthy. And refined-sugar and gluten free. And they make you feel like a superhero.
* 2 cups almond meal
* 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
* 1/2 cup raisins, 1/cup chocolate chips
* 3 eggs
* 1 cup grated zucchini
* 1 cup grated carrot
* 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* 1/2 cup maple syrup
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* Preheat the oven at 350 degrees. And grate the veggies.
* In a large bowl, combine the almond meal, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, raisins, chocolate chips
* In a separate bowl, mix together the zucchini, carrots, beaten eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and maple syrup. Once mixed together, add to the dry ingredients and mix all together.
* Grease the muffin tins and then spoon the batter into the cups, filling to the brim.
* Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
* Then, devour!
Last week, I made a batch of these muffins and brought some to school for my good friend to enjoy (#SpreadTheLove). Cruzzie then asked me if I could also make some for his teachers (my type of boy). I told the Lower School Director the story, and she asked if she could also have some. So, I went back home, and made a whole new batch. They were a hit with everyone, especially me. Plus, I feel like if I eat them, I will become a superhero like Shalane Flanagan — and perhaps pick up some of her speed (she runs 2:25 marathons….that my friends, is effing fast).