For those of you who have been reading the blog for a long time (first, huge THANK YOU!), then you have already seen this post. But I can’t help myself and need to include it again because these holiday treats are SO VERY DELICIOUS and addictive. And if you are new to the blog (welcome, and thank you!), enjoy the very best cookie / goodie / chocolate heaven / salty-sweet-thang. Hands down, the best holiday treat. And because you will not be able to stop at just one cookie (or ten of them), better get started on your holiday workout.
* 40 Saltine Crackers (about one and a half sleeves, do not use unsalted)
* 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 11 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
* Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
* Cover cookie sheet with aluminum foil or wax paper, and then add a single layer of Saltines
* Boil butter and sugar for one minute. (I add the butter first. Once melted, add the sugar. You want the mixture to bubble and then it is ready to pour on top of crackers)
* Then, pour evenly over Saltines. If needed, gently spread to make even. Bake for 7 minutes.
* While toffee is still hot and bubbly, pour chocolate chips evenly on top of candy. When the chocolate chips begin to melt, gently spread chocolate over toffee. Freeze for one hour. Break into pieces and enjoy! ***I have used milk chocolate, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, and they are all delicious. USE CAUTION when combining multiple types of chocolate at once, they have different melting points, and it turns into a chocolate mess!
If you are anything like me, you will finish the pan off in an hour. Tops. Have a good week…I am sure it will be a banana-busy-bee-week for most!! We (correction, me) have to buy all the family presents, organize life, tutor, and pack for two weeks of travels to opposite ends of the US — Seattle and Florida. No complaints, just a lot of work ahead……so better start eating these for breakfast. YUP, nothing says busy week than a sweet delicious saltine. Before 7 am.