If you read last Friday’s post , you saw the (long) process of preparing fava beans. Now, it is time to put those beans to use in a recipe for a Summer fava bean salad. This salad works perfectly as a complement to a standard green salad and a hunk of bread and cheese, for a light summer meal.
* Fava Beans (cooked) – 4 cups
* 1 Yellow/Red Pepper
* Parsley – 1/2 cup
* Scallions – 1/4 cup
* Crumbled white cheese (goat/cojita) – 1/4 cup
* Olive oil with red wine vinegar – 1/4 cup
* Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
* Salt and pepper to taste
* Once you have boiled and shelled the fava beans, set aside.
* Chop up the parsley, scallions, pepper and add to the beans.
* Dress with homemade olive oil/vinegar or olive oil/lemon juice
* Dash some salt and pepper, mix all together and serve cold.
* You can really make this salad with any vegetables… whatever is freshest at the supermarket or in the CSA box. It’s the fava beans that are the key. Be creative!
* Literally every time I (cough cough, my mother) makes a dish with fava beans, I wonder if the dish will be worth the time and effort of preparing the fava beans. But after one bite, I realize that it is TOTALLY worth the time. So delicious.
Have a great weekend!