Sorry about the hiatus. I had the below post scheduled for Friday, but it didn’t seem right to post anything given all of the craziness going on.
Particularly coming from a mixed-race marriage/family, I wish I had something intelligent / insightful / constructive to say. But all I feel is sadness and helplessness. It feels like we are in a bad movie right now, and my fear is it’s only going to get worse.
The only thing I know I can do is to hug my kids and talk to them about race and everything that is going on. And to pray for all of the families and friends directly affected.
Last month, while spending a weekend with dear friends, I was served (lucky me) the most scrumptious broccoli I have ever eaten in my life. I didn’t care that there was anything else being served, the broccoli was TO-DIE-FOR. It was a grilled broccoli recipe from Barefoot Contessa. Here it is.
* 4-5 pounds of broccoli
* 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
* 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
* 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
* 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves
* olive oil
* You can either grill or roast the broccoli. Since I don’t know how to grill, I opted to roast. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
* Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets.
* Spread the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes, until some of the florets are browned.
* Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with the lemon zest, lemon juice, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.
I highly recommend making (and eating) this delicious dish. Have a great weekend!!!!