I am a healthy eater who is addicted to sweets, LOVE dessert. So, the holiday season means a selection of cookies to choose from! One of my favorite snacks and desserts is a Saltine cookie. It sounds a little odd, but the combination of salt and sweet is to-die-for, and it is so easy and quick to make. Plus, you can make them ahead of time and save them in the fridge for several weeks. They also make a terrific hostess gift or present for a teacher/friend/classmate.
* 40 Saltine Crackers (about one and a half sleeves, do not use unsalted)
* 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 11 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
* Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
* Cover cookie sheet with aluminum foil (makes the cleanup that much easier) and then add a single layer of Saltines
* Boil butter and sugar for one minute. (I add the butter first,once melted, add the sugar. You want the mixture to bubble and then it is ready to pour on top of crackers)
* Then, pour evenly over Saltines. If needed, gently spread to make even. Bake for 7 minutes.
* While toffee is still hot and bubbly, pour chocolate chips evenly on top of candy. When the chocolate chips begin to melt, gently spread chocolate over toffee. Freeze for one hour. Break into pieces and enjoy! ***I have used milk chocolate, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, and they are all delicious. USE CAUTION when combining multiple types of chocolate at once, they have different melting points, and it turns into a chocolate mess!
So yes, these cookies are not that healthy, at all, but they are delicious. And a treat here and there is always nice. SO ENJOY LIFE AND EAT CHOCOLATE!
Have a great weekend!
-AYN, aka, The Josie Girl